Saturday, May 3, 2014

Free Comic Book Day: Sonic the Hedgehog/ Megaman X Flipbook

By: Travis Robinson

Sonic the Hedgehog
SFCBD 2014 SonicThe Sonic half of the flipbook focuses on the origin stories of Princess Sally Acorn, leader of the Freedom Fighters, and Rotor Walrus, battle mechanic of the Freedom Fighters. Sally’s story really gets into how the entire situation that the Freedom Fighters are in came about.

 Dr. Eggman was the trusted advisor of the king that took over and banished the king to the Special Zone. After Sally had seen what Sonic was doing for the kingdom by fighting Eggman and his badniks, she put together a group of orphans and exiles to win back the kingdom. Her story made me want more and I was upset that the story was moving on to a new focus and so I went into Rotor’s story with lowered expectations.

 Rotor’s story wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t the greatest either. There was nothing really outstanding about it and after reading Sally’s story I was just disappointed. I was hoping some action would come in to help his story out a bit, or Sonic would take over, but neither of those things happened and it left me thinking “meh”




Megaman X
STK632582 ImageThe Megaman X half of the flipbook covers the events that take place before the storyline of the first Megaman X video game. Dr. Cain has awakened Megaman from stasis and together they have begun to build reploids, which are robots that have their own consciousness.

 The whole thing begins to turn into Terminator when several reploids go on killing sprees and get labeled “Mavericks.” Dr. Cain is then accused of creating monsters and an organization known as the “Maverick Hunters” are formed. 

The first thing that really stood out to me was the art style. When I saw X emerge from stasis, I really liked how they shaded his character. I really did like the overall plot of the issue as well. There was no action, but the drama kept things in high tension even though my experience with the games let me know what would happen. This comic made me want to go replay the Megaman X series all over again.



+Sally’s story
+Megaman X art style
+Nice pacing
+Tension in Megaman X

-Rotor’s Story
- Length of Sonic comics.

Rating: 8/10

______________________________
Photo credit: Freecomicbookday.com