Saturday, May 3, 2014

Free Comic Book Day: All Rocket Raccoon Review

by Nick Dowell

Like I said yesterday, I was pumped for the All Rocket Raccoon comic. All of the Guardians are great, hilarious characters, but Rocket is absolutely my favorite so a story featuring him solo was exciting for me.
Before I even started reading I took note of the artwork here. It didn’t have the more serious look of Guardians. It actually looked a bit on the cartoony side, but I liked it. Rocket looks kind of scary in Guardians, which works well considering the tone but here is a sillier adventure. We can see Rocket’s expressions and it makes him look both a bit more relatable and downright adorable.

The brief adventure Rocket goes on in this quick one-off is to save a galactic princess. Kind of cliché but the writers quickly made it something to remember with Rocket’s wit and love of weapons. We even get to see Groot for a little while, as well as Mr. Wal-rus, who is literally a talking walrus.

The only serious complaint I can think of is the length. Being ten pages long, it’s an extremely short adventure. Though considering it's a free comic that's not an extremely serious complaint.

I was also left with some confusion about what Rocket was going to do with the princess after saving her. Hopefully, they’ll bring it back for Rocket’s solo comic debut this summer.

+ Great art makes Rocket seem more personable
+ Great humor
+ Rocket Raccoon and Groot

- Extremely short
- Very open ending

Rating: 7/10
-----
Image: Free Comic Book Day